Shahid Afridi is a Pakistani right-handed all-rounder who is well known for his aggressive batting style. He is one of the best cricketers in the world and hero of Pakistan. He is known as BOOM BOOM due to his hard hitting. At the age of sixteen he was drafted to the ODI team and in his second match he broke the record of world’s fastest century. This man gave us a lot of moments of joy. So let us have a look on his 19 years career.
RECORDS OF SHAHID AFRIDI:
- He also holds the record for twice hitting the second fastest fifty in one-day Internationals (off 18 deliveries), and he had the record for hitting the 5th fastest fifty to his name as well (off 19 deliveries) till it was broken by AB De Villiers.
- He is the youngest player ever to hit a one-day International’s century. He scored his first century of International career at the age of just 16-years and 217-days.
- He has the highest strike-rate in one-day International’s [7619 runs] at a strike-rate of115.61 per 100 balls.
- He holds the record for hitting the most sixes in one-day International’s, he has so far smashed 333 sixes in 377 matches. Sanath Jayasuriya who is second in the list has 270 sixes to his name in 444 ODI matches.
- He holds the second position in scoring most run off one over in ODI’s, in 2007 he smashed Sri Lanka’s CM Bandara for 32 runs in over.
- He is 5th in the list of most one-day International’s played by a cricketer.Among the Pakistani cricketers he sits in at number two behind Inzamam-ul-Haq.
- He has won the man of the match award 32 times in his career, the most by any Pakistani player, Saeed Anwar is second with 28 Man of the Match Awards.
- He is one of eleven players who have taken more than 300 wickets in one-day Internationals, he is currently number eight in the list behind Australia’s Brett Lee with 378 wickets in one-day Internationals. Shahid Afridi is also the third highest wicket-taker from Pakistan in one-day International’s behind two legends of Pakistan cricket Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.
- He also holds the record of being the third highest wickets taker in T20 International’s, he has 73 wickets to his name, Saeed Ajmal holds the first place in this category.
- He has taken 5 or more wickets in an One Day International nine times and he sits on 3rd place in the list level with Aussie Brett Lee.
- He also has a record of hitting the longest six of 158 metres in the cricket history.
Although South Africa survived even after Shahid Afridi fireworks, all over the cricket world everybody enjoyed his blasting innings. Here are few interesting comments from players and personalities all over the world about Shahid Afridi after the 3rd ODI against South Africa.
Scott Styris: That was a ridiculously big six from Afridi!
Ravi Bopara : Shahid Afridi u deserve 12 for that. That is the biggest I’ve ever seen. Massive!!!
Pat Symcox: De Villiers is like a drummer. He is brutal. Amla is like a violin. He is subtle. Shahid Afridi is like a base drummer.There are not many players with over 200 SIXES, but there is only one with over 300 and that’s Shahid Afridi. Thank goodness I was not part of the South African XI today. When Shahid Afridi was batting, they had their faces red.
Waqar Younis: When Shahid Afridi is hitting, you can only pray and do nothing else.
Lord’s Ground: I’ve just seen a replay of Shahid Afridi’s monster six against South Africa. Wow! Think it would have cleared the Lord’s Pavilion?
Piers Morgan: Afridi on the rampage for Pakistan – 50n.o. off 31 balls. No finer sight in cricket history than this guy blazing sixes.
Hamid Mir: Pakistan lost but Shahid Afridi won hearts of his fans by hitting huge 6s today I enjoyed his batting and celebrated his 88.
Azhar Mahmood: Good to see afridi back inform! Well played today! Lala…
Piers Morgan: Afridi’s nickname is ‘BOOM BOOM’ in honor of his 6-hitting talents – probably why he’s my favourite batsman to watch.
Shane Warne: Just switched TV on and watching Afridi going off against South Africa at the Wanderers!
There was no one like him, no one is and no one will be. If hard hitting is a medicine then Afridi is the doctor. My cricket ends and begins with Afridi. No matter other nations love him or hate him but that’s a fact that we won’t get another like him. CRICKET IS NOT CRICKET WITHOUT SHAHID AFRIDI.
20th march was a black day for Pakistan when this great legend retired but he will always rule our hearts.
In the end, this video might summarize it all for you:
Collected And Prepared By Mehak Iqbal